And by the year 2007, some spaceships will be “semi-self sustaining planets withing themselves,” he added.
He made these other forecasts of things to come withing 50 years:
1. Airplane flights from Florida to New York will be made within half an hour. Transcontinental flights will take an hour and transatlantic flights will be made in less than two hours. Passenger planes will be travelling at 2,500 miles per hour.
2. Military aircraft driven by ramjet engines will reach speeds up to 3,000 mph. Such aircraft will be stepping stones to the guided missles zooming through the air at 25,000 mph.
3. The earth’s arid areas will be reclaimed by atomic eqipment and supplied with water to provide food so that no man ever need be hungry.
4. Anti-collision devices for automobiles will be developed.
5. Fuel exhausts will be harnessed so that fuel consumption will be reduced.
“Iterplanetary Travel Seen by Rickenbacker,” The Daily Reporter, October 13, 1957
Filed under: Politics