I started noticing certain words on this blog were highlighted and pointing to a certain website that was completely unrelated to me. The website was jxliu.com, which I had never heard of before. After a Google search yielded nothing, I was at a complete loss. After significant trial and error, I may have actually eliminated jxliu.com.
I looked at the code on my page as it loaded in the browser, and there were no links in the code at all. I searched the template code for my blog, and again I found nothing. I decided to view the blog from a different computer (using the same browser – Chrome in this case) and the links were not there, which made me realize that these links were probably generated on my end, and not from my blog. A quick search for jxliu.com on my Windows 7 search bar revealed the location of two “includes.js” files in my Download folder which both contained links to the site. I deleted the folders they were in (which I didn’t even recognize), emptied the trash, and restarted the computer. So far, I’m not seeing jxliu.com anymore, so hopefully that has solved the problem. Chances are, since the files were located in my Download folder, it was probably my own doing in putting that malware on my computer.
Because a Google search turned up almost nothing on this site or mal-links, I’m guessing it’s not very widespead. Or perhaps people just aren’t mentioning the mal-site by name. Either way, I think I’m rid of it. If you’ve had a problem with this site, please comment below and let us know how/if you got rid of it!
10/5/2011 Update: Here is a more recent article about a similar problem which might contain additional ways to fix the problem.