We have yet another celebrity whose demise has been greatly exaggerated on Twitter. Today’s victim is Michael Jordan, who was rumored to have a heart attack and is in critical condition. The news was heavily re-tweeted without verification. And it’s a hoax.
Even though the original tweet was days earlier, it only took one signification re-tweet for it to take hold, which it did. Suddenly Twitter was on fire with Michael Jordan prayers and comments, all based on a hoax that few stopped to try to verify. Tweets like this were everywhere:
NBA legend Michael Jordan suffered a Heart Attack at his North Carolina home. He is in critical condition doctors say.
It appears that many people re-tweeted the false story, only to check further and retract it. Michael Jordan’s daughter took to Twitter to personally debunk these rumors. Here are a few of her tweets:
- For those asking if my dads in the hospital answer is NO. he’s actually golfing. I just talked to him loll he says hello. #RumorsVsFacts.
- Glad to know so many people outside of my family care so much for my dads well being but trust me he’s doing just fine:)!
- Loll I’ll say it again for clarification my dad is NOT in the hospital. He’s golfing !
The moral of this story is to think and verify before you spread this kind of news around. Being first to report a story can be cool, but being first to report a false rumor isn’t.
- Hoax: Is Robin Williams Dead?
- Trending on Twitter: RIP Justin Bieber. NOT True!
- Rumor: Is Mikhail Gorbachev Dead? No!
- Eddie Murphy Did Not Die in a Snowboarding Accident
Filed under: Hoaxes & Rumors