“Chillow” is a pillow insert designed to keep you cool throughout the night, has been seen in late night and early morning television ads. Today we offer our Chillow review and seeking user input as well.
What is Chillow Pillow?
Chillow is a pillow insert which is designed to keep you cool throughout the night. It is filled with water and you can place it in your refrigerator for 15-30 minutes for “maximum coolness.”
The official website chillow.com, was registered way back in 1998. The product has been available for years, but has recently began a marketing push again in 2013. The original 1998 Chillow looked different than those sold today. They also used to offer a pet version called “Canine Cooler” which is no longer offered at Chillow.com.
Chillow costs $12.99 plus $6.95 processing and handling for a total cost of $19.94. As with most “As Seen on TV” products, you can add a second product for “free” if you pay another $6.95. That would make 2 Chillows $26.89.
Delivery takes 3 to 6 weeks, and there is a 30-day money-back guarantee, less P&H. If you want to return the Chillow, you must first obtain a Return Merchandize Authorization (RMA) number.
Our Chillow Review
After using two Chillows here, our staff put together a list of pros, cons, and other useful information.
- Temperature. It does provide a nice, cool sensation upon putting your head on it.
- Other uses. We found that the Chillow worked better as a temporary cool compress than an all-night cooling pillow.
- Setup. We found the initial setup process to be fairly straightforward and relatively easy.
- Temperature. Though it starts off cool, it does eventually lose its coolness throughout the night, albeit slower than a regular pillow. After a few hours, the Chillow may tend to feel warmer than a regular pillow. Flipping it over or using a second Chillow may remedy this.
- Leakage. You are required to add water to the Chillow, and this water is held in by a plug. We’ve had a few users complain that their Chillow began leaking, meaning you could wake up to a wet bed in the middle of the night.
- Noise. We found that there was a noticeable “crinkling” noise. This is not an issue to everyone, but light sleepers may have a problem with it.
- Smell. If you’re sensitive to smells, you may not like the way the chemical/plastic smell (reminiscent of a child’s blowup raft) which emanates from the Chillow. You may be able to lessen this by keeping it the Chillow inside the pillow case, or by cleaning it.
- Bunches up. The material inside the Chillow tends to bunch up after some use. This “bunching up” is not easily fixed.
- There is an “activation” process which must be done once and requires about a four hour wait before you can use the Chillow.
- You will need to add about 8 cups of water to the Chillow.
- Recommended maintenance of the Chillow requires removing all of the air once a month.
- It cannot be used in direct sunlight or placed in the freezer.
- It’s not recommended for pets. A cat could easily puncture the Chillow.
- The Chillow is heavier than it looks, perhaps due to the 8 cups of water inside. The weight may compress fluffy, soft, or down pillows.
Below is a television commercial for Chillow Pillow:
Are you tired of those hot, sticky, sleepless nights? Are you fed up with flipping your pillow looking for relief? Some nights you feel like you’re on fire. Introducing Chillow, the amazing new pillow pack that transforms your pillow into a Chillow. Look, pillows trap body heat, increasing perspiration, but Chillow keeps your head cool and dry. The secret is SoothSoft technology, the water-cooled memory foam that keeps you cool for hours. He likes the room hot, she likes the room cold. Chillow is customized to cradle you in memory foam cooling comfort. Even if your room feels like a desert, you’ll feel like you’re in a cool oasis. Watch. These thermographic images show significantly lower blue Chillow temperatures, but the down pillow is many degrees warmer. Chillow fits perfectly inside your pillow case, or sleep right on the slip-proof cushion.
Robin P.: “When I suffer from a migraine, I usually use an ice pack. It tends to leak and create a mess. But with Chillow it’s so much more comfortable. It makes me feel better instantly.”
Teri M.: “I’ve been experiencing hot flashes and night sweats, but with Chillow it’s instant cool, instant relief, and it’s wonderful.”
Demitrius V.:”Every night I used to wake up in a puddle of sweat. Chillow really helps spread that coolness around and now I feel comfortable.”
There’s more. Cool, soothing Chillow is a perfect compress for headaches, migraines, backaches, or even throbbing, aching feet. Rigid ice packs lose their cool, but ultra suede Chillow lets you chill out all night long. Look again. Chillow stays almost 10 degrees cooler.
Now order the amazing Chillow for the special TV price of just $12.99. But wait! Call in the next 10 minutes and we’ll send you a second Chillow free. Just pay separate processing and handling. You get it all – two Chillows for just $12.99, so call now.
You will probably either really enjoy, or really dislike the Chillow. The consensus here is that it was a akin to a large plastic bag with water and a small cushion inside, and not really worth nearly $30 for two.
If you get a unit that doesn’t leak, and if you aren’t sensitive to sounds and smells, you may find the Chillow to be a suitable product. We weren’t terribly impressed, however, as this appears to be another good idea that is poorly implemented.
Have you used Chillow Pillow? Let us hear your thoughts about it in the comments below.
Filed under: Reviews