Potato Express is a product which is advertised as a way for consumers to cook potatoes more efficiently in the microwave. Today we offer Potato Express reviews from editors and readers, along with additional product information.
About Potato Express
Potato Express is a microwave potato bag which creates a “steam pocket” that is said to cook potatoes more efficiently and lock in moisture. A relatively new product, the website buypotatoexpress.com registered in April 2013.
- Phone: 877-883-9082
- Hours: 8am to 10pm ET
- Email:[email protected]
- Address: Ontel Products Corporation, 21 Law Dr., 1st Floor, Fairfield, NJ 07004
How much does Potato Express cost?
- Potato Express costs $10 plus $6.99 shipping.
- They “double” your order for another $6.99 (You can’t opt out of this “offer”)
- Every order includes a $1 “Web Service Fee”
- Total cost = $24.98
- 30-Day money back guarantee (less shipping, meaning you would only get $10 back)
Features & Claims
- Holds up to 4 large potatoes
- Reusable and washable
- Cooks in 4 minutes
- Works on potatoes, corn, or bread
- Includes recipe book
Is Potato Express available in stores?
When this review was originally published in October 2013, we had not yet spotted Potato Express in stores. Since then we have seen it for about $10 in Walmart, As Seen on TV stores, and Bed, Bath, & Beyond.
Below is a screen shot of the official Potato Express website, taken in October 2013:
Below is a television commercial for Potato Express:
Transcript of Television Commercial
Everyone loves a delicious baked potato but cooking them in the oven takes forty five minutes and when you cook them in the microwave they come out mushy and dry. Introducing Potato Express, the fastest, easiest way to cook perfect oven-baked potatoes in just four minutes. Watch, just slip potatoes into the Potato Express and place it in the microwave. In just four minutes, you’ll have perfect, steamy baked potatoes with a tender skin and a delicious, fluffy inside. Potato Express’ secret is the unique insulation design that creates a steam pocket with just the right amount of moisture to cook potatoes to perfection. Not too soggy, not too dry, just tender skin and fluffy baked potato goodness guaranteed every time! Top potatoes with sour cream and chives, bacon and cheese, delicious chili potatoes, even broccoli and cheddar. Add sugar and marshmallows to sweet potatoes or yams! All natural Potato Express cooks up to four full sized potatoes in four minutes for a delicious feast the whole family will love! Or add smaller red potatoes to prepare the quickest, most delicious potato salad ever! Use Potato Express for super quick home fries for a gourmet breakfast. Potato Express will save you time when making mashed potatoes or crisp, tender potato skins. Machine washable and reusable over and over and over again. Stop wasting time baking potatoes in the oven. Call now and get Potato Express complete with recipe guide for just ten dollars. As a bonus get the Perfect Grater absolutely free! Instantly garnish your potatoes with cheese and more. But wait! Call right now and we’ll double your order free, just pay separate processing and handling. You get it all, two Potato Express, two recipe guides, and two Perfect Graters all for just ten dollars, so call now!
Potato Express Review
In our tests of Potato Express, we made the following observations:
- One potato: We found that one potato cooked to satisfaction in 4 minutes. It was fluffy and moist inside.
- Four potatoes: We could not fit 4 large potatoes in the Potato Express, but we managed to get 4 small potatoes in Potato Express, and they took just over 10 minutes to cook completely.
- Quality: The quality was slightly better than that of a potato cooked without the sleeve, as the skin was not as dried out. It was still not as good as a potato baked in the oven.
- A cursory search of Amazon reveals similar microwave potato bags which are available at a lower cost.
- A product known as “PotatOH” is available in grocery stores. These potatoes are sold and cooked in a special wrap which is also designed to seal in moisture, similar to the claims made by Potato Express
- You can make potatoes in a product by Ziploc called “Zip n’ Steam” which is a vented cooking bag for the microwave.
Some readers have expressed frustration and confusion from the ordering process, with some consumers being charged for more orders than they wanted. Note that it is now available in stores, so you can avoid online ordering hassles by picking it up locally.
Potato Express does appear to be slightly better than the traditional method of cooking a potato in the microwave. At $25, however, it may not be a justifiable investment for most consumers, especially as it is essentially just a cloth sack. If you want to try it, we recommend buying locally for about $10 to avoid shipping costs and delays.
Your Potato Express Reviews
Have you used Potato Express? Let us hear from you in the comments below.
Updated February 5, 2014